General discussion board.

Field repair on CycloneII Messages in this topic - RSS

Jhole
Jhole
12/4/2011
Jhole
Jhole
Hey all,

I know some or most of you all have tables at home so I hoping for some of your input here. And perhaps the administrator of this site can administer some knowledge my way because I know he maintains several tables. So here it is....I just got a smoking deal on a Tornado Cyclone II the other day and am super thrilled to play on it. The table is in excellent condition with the exception of the playing surface near the goalie box on one end. The laminate playing field surface in this area has become de-laminated from the surface underneath it. This causes the ball to not roll true nor straight and makes playing nearly impossible. Does anyone have ideas, thoughts, direction on re-gluing the surface down and fixing this problem? The surface itself is in near perfect condition so I'm hoping I will not have to buy a whole new play surface.

Jason
0 link
Jesse Rhode
Jesse Rhode
Administrator
12/4/2011
Jesse Rhode
Jesse Rhode
Administrator
As far as I understand it, the table "field" is glued, stapled, and even bolted for coin-op versions. Not sure there is any way to remove without chipping the laminate. As for home models, they are mostly glued but do have some staples and screws to the little boards underneath. These types you may be able to remove somehow I suppose. But the same fear would exist. Meaning that the possibility of chipping the laminate is extremely high. Perhaps with some sort of heat gun, with the top completely off, applied from the underside may work.

Really, I am not sure. It is one of them things that has always necessitated a replacement table for everyone I have heard mention this sort of issue. However, that could just be part of the marketing of the tables for all I know. Someone with a high skill in finish carpentry could probably figure it out.
0 link
Jhole
Jhole
12/5/2011
Jhole
Jhole
JRhode,

Thanks for the input. I can't fathom that I would need to buy an entirely new table. If that was the case why would Tornado sell replacement fields for $150-250? Also I don't see any staples or screws unless there are some under the trim strips along the edges. I have heard about heating up the glue and trying to lift the surface off. If I can do that my next question would be how do I re-attach the surface, i.e. how much glue, what kind of glue, how to apply it, how to set the surface so it is perfectly attached. I really want to get this table bad to as good as it was from the factory. Any other suggestions are definitely welcome.

J
0 link
BillyBoy
BillyBoy
Administrator
12/7/2011
BillyBoy
BillyBoy
Administrator
You may want to speak to Mike Miller - he is a pro with cabinetry and related stuff. You can find his contact info in the league player lists.
0 link